Associate Product Category Manager
To be considered for this important position within our company, please send your resume to HR@unitedspb.com with subject line “Associate Product Category Manager”. This position is based in Fountain Valley, California.
United Sports Brands is a global leader in sports performance and protective products designed to help athletes perform at their personal best. Brands within the company’s impressive portfolio include Shock Doctor, the #1 global leader in mouthguards; McDavid, a brand at the top of the recommended lists of pro athletes, sports medicine professionals and athletic trainers for more than 30 years; Cutters, the innovative leader in the athletic glove market and high performance glove grip technology; XO Athletic, a premium, game-changing developer of athletic cups and sports protection; and Nathan the Running Essentials™ market leader in athletic hydration and visibility products. Our products are sold at the major sporting goods retailers as well as a significant number of independent sporting goods retailers and distributors throughout the U.S. and in selective international markets and through our consumer direct websites at www.shockdoctor.com, www.mcdavidusa.com, www.cutterssports.com, www.xoathletic.com, www.NathanSports.com.
The Associate Product Category Manager plays a key role supporting the Product Category Directors in executing growth strategies and managing the profitability of product categories within United Sports Brands’ portfolio of brands. This position has ownership of key category projects, new product commercialization, and the day-to-day business management of assigned categories. This role works closely with all departments across the organization. To be successful, this person must be a strong leader, have high business acumen and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
Business Growth Planning & Analysis:
- Participate in overall category strategy development
- Assist in cross-functional organization, planning and execution of key initiatives to drive category sales and profitability
- Develop business cases for new product, category or channel concepts. Business analysis necessary to make fact-based go/no-go decisions.
- Evaluate product pricing and quantify expected impact on volume and margins.
- Provide meaningful analysis, forecast and consumption data as part of the inventory and new product forecasting processes.
- Utilize data analysis to evaluate business trends and competitive activity. Ability to identify implications and make sound conclusions and recommendations.
- Lead cross-functional business team to achieve annual financial objectives and develop contingency plans to reflect changes in marketplace conditions.
- Lead new product launch teams in the execution of detailed new product introduction plans.
- Continuously improve cross-functional planning, alignment, business process, and decision-making processes.
- Synthesize information from market and product research findings to develop insights that guide strategic and tactical plans and consumer communication.
- Provide input on packaging structure and design strategy, branding, packaging change process and planning, claims and product descriptions in collaboration with Product and Marketing
- Participate in overall product-level strategy and planning for assigned categories
- Assist Product Category Directors in identifying new product trends/concepts and opportunities
- Support new product life-cycle strategy and planning.
- Collaborate with Product Development on product planning and product line review process
- Develop and maintain competitive market analysis
- Manager category product portfolio and line lists, recommending adds and deletes
- Support product pipeline processes and ensure alignment with sales, marketing and product development.
- Work collaboratively with Sales and Product Teams to identify and evaluate new products, line extensions, and SKU rationalization opportunities.
- Regularly communicates status of new product initiatives across entire organization.
- Owns the new items commercialization process and timelines
- Participate in the annual catalog planning process including decisions related to product offering, pricing, and product descriptions/content.
· Bachelor degree or equivalent work experience.
· MBA and/or Technical degree an asset.
· Minimum 3 years’ relevant experience.
· Proven track record of leading strategic growth for Consumer Brands, Products or Categories. Experience with Sporting Goods, Run, or Active Lifestyle brands/categories a plus.
- Experience across different channels (sporting goods or specialty retail channel preferred), CPG categories (related category/products preferred), company sizes (large CPG and smaller company or division), low penetration brand/products.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically with a general management orientation.
- Cross-functional understanding and ability to achieve business results through involvement of finance, operations, product development, marketing communications, and vendor partners.
- Business analysis and planning experience including sound judgment and decision-making.
- Exceptional analytical thinking skills including the ability to see trends, identify implications and use depth and breadth of experience to focus on what’s important.
- Effective written communication, presentation skills, and influencing skills both internally and externally.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to lead a collaborative results-oriented team
- Adaptable, resilient, flexible, fast-paced/sense of urgency, and a high level of multitasking ability.
- Demonstrated passion and personal commitment.
- Personal and professional values aligned with company values and culture, high integrity.
- Able to handle pressure of deadlines, multiple projects and financial performance expectations.
- Fast-paced growing company experience and/or demonstrated effectiveness in a small company / location where role includes both strategic and hands-on responsibilities
Position Compensation & Benefits:
United Sports Brands offers an excellent benefits package, competitive compensation, a casual & flexible work environment, and a fast-paced entrepreneurial culture.
United Sports Brands is an Equal Opportunity Employer.